Skip to content

Residence Permit

Applications for Residence Permits can be handed in at the Embassy. The Embassy will forward the application to the Danish Immigration Service.

You can find useful information at the Official Portal for Danish Immigration Service by visiting

Please be informed of the following if you apply for residence permit from Eritrea or Sudan:
If you apply for family reunification to Denmark, you will have to come to a Danish Embassy (e.g. in Ethiopia or Kenya) in person for obtaining biometrics. If the Danish Immigration Service requests a DNA test, you will also need to come to a Danish Embassy.

However, Denmark has a representation agreement with the Norwegian Embassy in Sudan. The Norwegian Embassy in Khartoum can receive residence permit applications on behalf of Denmark. In order to apply for a residence permit at the Embassy, you must either be a citizen of Sudan or have a residence permit during the last six months. More information can be found here:


From 1 July 2019, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark including all Danish diplomatic missions are introducing online payment of the embassy fee for residence or work permit. The embassy fee should be paid online using this link.
The reciept for the payment should be submitted at the Danish Visa Application Centre (VFS) when you hand in your passport, relevant documentation and supply biometrics. Please note that in residence/work permit cases there are three fees to be paid. 1) the fee to either the Danish Immigration Service or the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI), 2) the fee to the Danish Embassy (Using this link) and 3) the fee to the Danish Visa Application Service (VFS).


According to regulation (EC) No. 380/2008 of 18 April 2008 residence cards issued after May 20th. 2012 shall contain an electronic chip with photo, fingerprints and signature recorded digitally. In this way the security against forgery and misuse of residence cards is strengthened considerably.
The decision to introduce fingerprints in residence cards, has been made at a central level in the EU as part of the combat against terrorism, human trade, human trafficking, illegal immigration and other transnational crime. 

Biometrics must be obtained when the application is lodged
In order to issue biometric residence cards, installation of special equipment for taking photos and recording fingerprints and signature is necessary. Please click here [link to Danish Missions] to find the nearest mission. 

Can I apply for a residence/work permit if one or more of my fingers are injured?
According to the law biometric data must always be contained in a biometric residence card. If the index finger is injured, a biometric residence card can be issued. In that case, a fingerprint will be taken of an alternative finger.

Must children also give their fingerprints?
No. Fingerprints are not collected from children under 6 years of age.

What to bring?
Bring the application and supporting documents (originals as well as copies). Copies of the originals must be in colour and size A4.
Babies: We recommend to bring a recent photo of the child, which meets the requirements for a photo. The photo can then be scanned by the mission, in case the mission does not have the means to take a valid photo.




Applicable to all nationals who wish to apply for Tourist, Transit, Family reunification, long term and, Business Schengen visa for Greenland, Faroe Island, Denmark, Iceland and long term visa to Denmark or Iceland.


VFS Global will be open to receive applications on a walk-in basis.

Submission hours: 8am- 3pm


Address of VFS:
Joint Visa Application Centre
3rd Floor, Office Nos. 333
Morning Star Mall
Bole Medihanialem, Bole
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Call Centre Number- +251 960437204


The Embassy’s consular section is open only by appointment.

Please call or e-mail to request an appointment for passport renewal, DNA sample for family reunification or visa interview. Please give reference number.



The Royal Danish Embassy is unable to reply to status inquiries regarding visa, residence, work permits and family reunification applications via email or telephone due to Danish National Law on handling personal information.


Consular phone hours:


Tuesday only for information about DNA requests: 10:00- 10:30


Wednesday only for information about family reunification or residence permits: 10:00-10:30


Thursday only for information about passports: 10:00-10:30