Skip to content


Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind

Can I get a new passport during my holiday in Denmark?

Yes.  Already today it is possible – and cheaper – to get a passport with a municipality (kommune) in Denmark.  All Danish citizens can apply for a passport at the Civil Service Centre (Borgerservicecenter) in any municipality. It is not necessary for you to reside in or in other way be attached to the municipality. You can find addresses of Civil Service Centres at Kommune.  You may wish to call beforehand for information on opening hours, booking of appointment etc. and inform them that you reside abroad. Processeing time for an ordinary passport is approximately 10-14 days. The Civil Service Centre can issue an express passport faster than 10-14 days and an extra fee will be charged.
We recommend that you apply for a passport during your stay in Denmark well a head of your departure, in order to receive the new passport before you leave Denmark. Another option would be to try and make an agreement with the Civil Service Centre so that they will send your new passport via courier service to your address abroad.

Must I present myself at the Danish Mission which issued my passport to have it handed over to me?

You may require at the mission that issued your passport whether it is possible to have the passport sent to you, but you must be aware that the old passport must be handed in for cancellation, before the new passport can be delivered to you.

Must I bring photos for the passport?

No. With the new biometrics equipment the mission can take photos for the passport. So if you apply for an ordinary passport you do no longer need to bring photos after 1 January 2012. If you apply for an emergency passport you must bring 2 photos. 
Children: We recommend to bring a new photo of the child which meets the requirements for passport photos ( That photo can then be scanned by the mission if it is not possible for us to take a photo of the child that meets the requirements.

Can I apply for a biometric passport if my finger is injured?

That depends on the extent of the injury. According to the law biometric data must always be contained in a biometric passport.  This means that if for example your whole hand is covered by plaster or bandages, only an emergency passport can be issued to you. However, if only the index finger is injured a biometric passport can be issued. In that case fingerprint will be taken of an alternative finger.

Must children also give their fingerprints?

No. Fingerprints are not collected from children below 12 years of age, but they still have to appear in person in order to apply for a passport.  From 1 January 2012 application for passports for children can only be handed in at the missions that issue biometric passports.


Can my child be included in my passport?

No. Since 1 October 2004 children, also newly borns and children without names, must have their own passport.  A mission may issue a temporary (emergency) passport if you are in urgent need of a passport.  Se above on emergency passports.

Parental Consent for children

Both parents must appear in person for the appointment. If one parent has sole custody of the child, documentation to that effect MUST be produced. In case one parent is unable to appear in person at the consulate, section C of the form, "declaration of consent" must be signed before a Danish consulate, Danish police, Danish municipality or another Danish authority and emailed to the consulate prior to the appointment.

Digital Consent for children

Alternatively, the parent/guardian not able to appear in person may give his/her consent digitally provided he/she has a CPR number and NemID (the child does not need to have a full CPR number).

Once the consent form has been filled in and signed with the parent's NemID, a receipt will be generated and sent to his/her your e-boks. Please print the receipt and submit it with the passport application.

Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind